top of page

UAE Family Visa Requirements

Required Documents, How to Apply, Cost of Family Visa in UAE

Bringing your family to the UAE can be exciting, but it's important to be prepared! Whether you're on an investor or work visa, here's what you need to know for a smooth relocation:

  1. Gather your documents: Start early and research the paperwork required for family visas. This often includes passports, medical certificates, and proof of income.

  2. Find the right home: Consider your family's needs and budget when choosing a place to live. Different emirates and neighbourhoods offer varying lifestyles and costs.

  3. Plan for the legalities: Understand visa requirements, sponsorship rules, and any other legal aspects of your family's stay.

Required documents

Here's a simplified breakdown of what you need for different family situations:


Who can you sponsor?


  • Spouse (Muslims can sponsor up to two)

  • Children (biological or adopted, below a certain age)

  • Parents (yours or your spouse's)

  • Minor siblings

  • Grandchildren (with grandparents as sponsors)

  • Student family members of UAE university attendees


What documents do you need?


Basic documents (apply to most cases):

  • Sponsor's residency visa and Emirates ID

  • Marriage certificate

  • Children's birth certificates

  • Passports and photos of everyone

  • Proof of accommodation (lease agreement)

  • Medical insurance (recommended)


Additional documents depending on your situation:


Full family with children:

  • Husband as sponsor: Job contract or salary certificate.

  • Wife as sponsor: Father's permission (No Objection Certificate).


Single parent:

  • Father with children: No mother's consent needed.

  • Mother with children: Father's permission (NOC), death certificate (if deceased), or sole custody court order.



  • Mandatory insurance: Costlier for older parents.

  • Sponsor both parents: No sponsoring one parent only.

  • Separate room: Studios or one-bedroom apartments not allowed.

  • Minimum salary: AED 20,000 for sponsor.

  • Deposit: AED 3,000 per parent.

  • Proof of relationship: Marriage certificate & sponsor's birth certificate.


Remember, this is a general overview. It's always best to check the latest requirements with official sources before applying. Good luck with your family relocation!

Legalisation of documents

Moving to the UAE with your family? Hold on! Before you hop on that plane, there's one important step: getting your documents in order.


Turns out, the UAE wants to make sure everything checks out, so you'll need to legalise certain documents like birth certificates, marriage certificates, and even diplomas. Think of it like getting a special stamp of approval from your home country that says "Yep, this is legit!"


What exactly needs legalising?

  • Children's birth certificates: This proves your little ones are who they say they are!

  • Marriage certificate: Shows you're officially a team (if applicable).

  • Diplomas: If you're using your qualifications for work or education, they might need this official stamp.


But who stamps these magic documents?

It depends on where you're coming from! Each country has its own process, usually involving government ministries or embassies. Don't worry, we won't leave you hanging – there are plenty of resources online to guide you through the specifics.


Uh oh, paperwork alert!  Before you jet off to the UAE with your family, there's one crucial step: getting your documents legalised. Think of it like getting an official "thumbs up" from your home country that says everything's legit.


Here's the catch: legalising things in the UAE can be slow and involve a power of attorney. To avoid delays and headaches, the best bet is to legalise everything back home before you leave. Trust us, future-you will thank you!


So, which documents need this special stamp? Things like birth certificates, marriage certificates, and even diplomas might be on the list. Don't worry, each country has its own process, usually involving government offices or embassies. A quick online search can point you in the right direction.


Remember, legalising things takes time, so don't wait until the last minute! Get on it early and avoid any packing-box panic.


Since the UAE has not acceded to the 1961 Hague Convention, legalisation of documents involves consular procedures.


Here's how to get that VIP pass, straight from your home country:


  1. Make copies: Grab your important documents (birth certificates, marriage certificate, etc.) and get them notarized. Photocopies work best, so you keep the originals safe.

  2. Speak Arabic (and maybe English): Get your copies translated into Arabic by a certified translator. They'll need to notarize their signature too. An English translation is helpful, but Arabic is key in the UAE.

  3. Ministry magic: Take your translated copies to your country's Ministry of Justice. They'll add their official stamp of approval, making it extra legit.

  4. Foreign flair: Head to your country's Foreign Ministry. Get the Ministry of Justice stamp and the Foreign Ministry official's signature "witnessed" by the UAE Consulate. This confirms everything is in order.

Steps to apply for a Dubai Family Visa

Moving your family to the UAE? Exciting! But visas can feel like a maze. Here's a simplified guide to get you through:


Before they arrive:

  1. Gather documents: Passports, marriage certificates, proof of income - the usual suspects.

  2. Get an Entry Permit: Think of it as a temporary pass for your family to enter the UAE. You'll need to visit the AMER Center in Dubai with all the documents. It usually takes about 5 days.

  3. Switch visa status (if applicable): If your family is already in the UAE on tourist visas, you'll need to change them to resident visas.


Once they arrive:

  1. Medical check-up & fingerprinting: For everyone 16 and over, it's a quick health check and some fingerprint scans.

  2. Emirates ID: This is their official UAE ID card. Apply after the medical exams.

  3. Deposit (if applicable): If you're on an investor visa, you'll need to pay a deposit for each family member. Parents always require a deposit, regardless of your visa type.

  4. Visa Sticker: This confirms your family's resident status. You'll get it by mail and can travel with it while waiting for the Emirates ID.

  5. Emirates ID card: The final step! This card makes them official UAE residents. It usually arrives within a week of the Visa Sticker.



  • Start early! Legalising documents and getting permits can take time.

  • Keep copies of everything.

  • Double-check the latest requirements as they can change.


Now, go celebrate with some delicious baklava - your family adventure awaits!

Family Visa cost

The cost of obtaining a family visa in 2024 broken down by service:



Q: What is legalisation of documents?
A: Legalisation of documents is an official certification of documents by the state authorities of the country of issue: notary, Ministry of Justice, Ministry of Foreign Affairs with following certification by a UAE Consulate.

Q: How to legalise documents for the UAE?

Legalisation of documents for the UAE in both English and Arabic languages can be made at the Ministry of Justice and Ministry of Foreign Affairs with following certification at the UAE Consulate in your country.

Also the legalisation of documents can be done through the Consulate of your country directly in the Emirates. However, in this case a power of attorney will be needed for a person who will certify the documents in your country and then send them to the Emirates. Legalisation will take much longer.

In some cases documents translated into Arabic or English can be certified in the AMER Center in Dubai.


Important! If the document is translated by a notary, it is not always a 100% guarantee that it will be accepted in the UAE.

Q: Is there an apostille in the UAE?
A: There is no apostille in the UAE. The UAE has not acceded to the 1961 Hague Convention, which simplified the legalisation of documents by certifying them with an apostille.

Q: Can we get a family visa if we are not officially married?
A: No. In order to apply for a family visa it is required to have all papers showing that you are married or have custody of children. All documents must be legalised.


Q: Can I work if I have a family visa under my husband's sponsorship?
A: Yes, you can get a job and even open a bank account based on your husband's documents (proof of origin of funds and spouse's bank account statement). It may be noted that employers are very willing to hire in such a case, as they do not have to pay for your visa. Sometimes a husband's permission (NOC certificate) and an Labour card may be required.


Q: Can a wife sponsor her husband and children?
A: Yes, a wife can sponsor family visas as well as her husband. The only difference will be the minimum wage of AED 10,000.


Q: How much is the insurance?
A: The amount of insurance depends on the state of health, the age of the person being insured, and the coverage desired. The cost ranges from AED 2,000 to AED 25,000 per year.


Q: Who can be sponsored and up to what age?

A: Daughters can be sponsored up to any age as long as they are not married.

Sons can be sponsored up to the age of 25 (if they are students). If not students, up to age 18.

Disabled children of either sex can be sponsored up to any age.

Minor siblings.

You can sponsor your parents and your spouse's parents.

Grandparents can sponsor their grandchildren.

UAE university students can sponsor their family.


Q: What are the minimum salary requirements for a sponsor?
A: If the man sponsors his own family, his salary must be at least AED 5,000. If he is sponsoring his parents or his spouse's parents, 20,000 AED.
If the woman is sponsoring her family, she should have at least AED 10,000 in salary. If she is sponsoring her parents or her husband's parents, then the amount must also be at least AED 20,000.


Q: How long is the family visa valid for?
A: A dependent visa is granted for the same duration as that of the sponsor's visa. For instance, if you obtain a two-year visa and apply for dependent visas for your spouse and children six months later, their visas will be valid for two years from the date of issuance, not from the start date of your visa. If needed, you can cancel your spouse's and children's visas when your own visa expires. Family visas for parents, on the other hand, are issued for one year and require annual renewal.

Get UAE Family Visa

We received your enquiry, We'll 

bottom of page